The Worldwide Snorkeling Forum

Morro Jable Harbour Wall

Places to go snorkeling in Europe
MermaidK8

Morro Jable Harbour Wall

Postby MermaidK8 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:42 pm

My partner and I recently swam the outside harbour wall in Morro Jable (see map)
As you enter the harbour, before the Cafeteria El Muelle turn left on the car park, (there are usually a couple of lorries parked up) and follow the fence until there is a small opening between the cliffs and the start of the harbour wall.

It is rocky and so best if you have booties. My partner did, but I didn´t. Getting down isn´t too much of a problem, even in flipflops, but getting into and out of the water on the rocks is a little more difficult bare foot.

Its still a bit cold this time of year (April) but we have shortie wetsuits - which are a godsend - or I wouldn´t last very long in the water.

Visibility is great, much better than the other side of the marina/harbour....
We saw garden eels (first time in Canary Islands that we have seen them. I´ve read divers see them a lot, especially around Jandia, but not really snorkellers), the usual parrotfish, lovely green wrasse, bream (some quite big), damsel fish and small barracuda but the creme de la creme was the 2-3000 needlefish. (I was smiling so hard the water kept getting into my snorkel :D :D :D :D )

Needlefish don´t like you chasing after them, but if you can get close enough and don´t thrash about or make too much arm movement, they don´t swim away as quickly, or at all. At one point I had a tornado of them all around me, and my partner the same (as in a second and just as plentiful tornado at the same time). There must have been 1500 per tornado at least, each one around the 12-15inches mark. Pretty special.

Unfortunatley no rays, sharks or turtles, but we will keep our eyes peeled and update as and when the sightings occur.

FuerteGuide

Re: Morro Jable Harbour Wall

Postby FuerteGuide » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:37 pm

Not too much to add to the great review above - but we did see a number of decent sized Trumpet fish :) This was way down at the far end of the pier wall - quite deep but still with great visibility.

Also the smaller needle fish tend to hang around towards the end of the wall, whereas the larger ones hang around the bay just before the start of the pier - don´t stick to the shore line, head a little further out and you should see the needle fish.

Unfortunately people seem to leave a lot of rubbish down that way, including left over bags from bread that I assume were being used to fish from shore.....I picked out as much as I could (most of it is on the rocky shore rather than in the water - for now!). :evil: :evil:

I was speaking to two divers the other day who say you can see big things down this end, but that you need to be a bit further out (i.e. use of a boat required to get further away from shore). So, I learnt that I need a boat :D

MermaidK8

Postby MermaidK8 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:41 am

OK Update for May 2017....

We have now seen a few smaller Moray Eeels, much closer into the shore/rocky area where you enter the water. Keep your eyes peeled around the rocky areas as you enter. (heading away from the harbour wall)

Scorpion fish, cuttlefish, various sized rays (and shapes) some pretty big - bigger than me! You are generally more likely to see the rays if you snorkel a little further away from the wall, in the sandy area - but usually the only other thing you'll see are the HUGE amount of garden eels.

A few days ago, one of the larger rays disturbed a baby angel shark that was hiding under the sand - first time I've seen one of those, and although it was only 1/2 meter long, it was still amazing to see.

So, this little spot really is worth the effort to head too - theres much more life in this area vs heading out from the main Playa de la Cebada beach!

I ended up buying booties as it was getting a bit difficult getting out of the water - but all the local Chinese shops sell them at a decent price. Well worth the moneyl.

MermaidK8

Postby MermaidK8 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:34 pm

Today we saw an angel shark. It was just over 1 metre long and wasn't fazed by us at all, after a few minutes swimming close to the sandy bottom it started to bury itself. We watched until it was still and buried - to be honest, unless you'd watched it bury itself, you'd have never known it there.

Pretty awesome :D :D :D :D :P :P :P :P

As an aside, there have been a lot of cuttlefish around this area lately, although we saw none today.

Return to “Europe, the Canary Islands, Madeira and the Azores”