The Worldwide Snorkeling Forum

Playa Flamingo, Playa Blanca, Lanzarote

Places to go snorkeling in Europe
glitterball

Playa Flamingo, Playa Blanca, Lanzarote

Postby glitterball » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:34 pm

Playa Flamingo is one of the best places for Snorkeling in Lanzarote, however most visitors never leave the murky area inside the breakwaters, and therefore miss out on the schools of Barracuda, Trumpetfish, Groupers etc.
The best area is just outside the breakwaters - swim out from the beach and through the channel and you will arrive at an artificial reef created by the old breakwaters. Ironically the water temperature is higher here than inside the breakwaters at the beach!
The breakwaters were severally damaged during Tropical Storm Delta in 2005 and it was several years before they were reconstructed. The Marine Fauna and Fauna has gradually recovered and the artificial reef created by the old damaged breakwaters is now teaming with life.

Look out for Octopus, Cuttlefish, Trumpetfish, Rays, Schools of several hundred Barracuda, Grouper (look over the drop off), Jacks, Parrotfish and Needlefish just under the surface.
  • Ease of Access: Sheltered beach - it doesn't get any easier than this
  • Hazards: None that I can think of
  • Visibility: Medium: it gets better in the open water outside the breakwaters
  • Best time to go: Early morning combined with low tide (evening with low tide isn't bad either)
  • Water Temperature: 18 - 23 C° (warmer outside the breakwaters)
  • Highlights: Schooling Barracuda (may be seasonal), Octopus, Trumpetfish
octopus-playa-flamingo.jpg
Octopus at Playa Flamingo
octopus-playa-flamingo.jpg (170.33 KiB) Viewed 10563 times
needlefish-playa-flamingo.jpg
Needlefish under the surface
needlefish-playa-flamingo.jpg (110.28 KiB) Viewed 10563 times
barracuda3.jpg
Schooling Barracuda at Playa Flamingo Lanzarote
barracuda3.jpg (151.76 KiB) Viewed 10563 times
barracuda2.jpg
barracuda2.jpg (104.53 KiB) Viewed 10563 times
barracuda1.jpg
barracuda1.jpg (177.44 KiB) Viewed 10563 times

glitterball

Re: Playa Flamingo, Playa Blanca, Lanzarote

Postby glitterball » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:14 pm

Here are some dive videos of Playa Flamingo: you can see pretty much all of the same species snorkeling:

SnorkelLanzarote

Postby SnorkelLanzarote » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:36 pm

Wow, amazing pictures and videos of the Lanzarote's deeps. I'm really fall in love :shock: http://www.h10lanzaroteprincess.com/

MermaidK8

Postby MermaidK8 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:39 pm

I love swimming with Barracuda. I have been here a few times and have seen quite a few, although not as many as your photos. It can get pretty cold but I tend to ´swim´ rather than ´float´. I did notice most people stay within the bay to snorkel which makes no sense, as its no where near as clear....

Return to “Europe, the Canary Islands, Madeira and the Azores”